Saturday, November 28, 2009

Plug In Display

So I'm going to make this as detailed as possible but honestly it's been a few months since my husband made this for me and my camera started acting up so I didn't get as many pics as I wanted. I wanted a display box for my craft fairs this Fall and this turned out great! We bought some 1/2 inch MDF board. I think it was the shortest size...maybe 4 X 6 feet? You'll also need outlet boxes (the blue box) outlet covers and then the actual outlet. You'll need enough of all of these for how ever many outlets you want on your box. I did 3 but I think I'm gonna have him put another one in. There are 2 in the front and 1 on the side. I also bought some spray paint for the box and you'll also need wire with a plug on the end. They sell it for making and wiring lamps. I got one with the 3 prongs.

So basically it's 16 long X 8.5 deep X 10.5 long. I just wanted it wide enough to set 2-3 warmers comfortably on the top for displaying. And that is the finished size. If you predrill your holes then it will be easier to assemble.
So, here's a view from the top before he put the top on. Notice also the corner posts. This was just a piece of base board that was the size we wanted. It's just squared about an inch wide. You'll want something to nail into. Also notice the yellow wiring what connects all three plugs. The only thing I would have liked better would be a plug turned sideways. By the time I went to check on it for more pictures, he'd already made these right side up. I did have him turn one upside down though. When everything is wired together that's when you hook up the cord and plug to it. At the end you nail on the top and leave the bottom open. We also drilled out a little hole for the cord to come thru at. That way the box sat flat on the table and I could plug it up to a 6 plug power strip.
Here's the finished box at my craft fair. I think it turned out great! We positioned the outlets high enough so I could still display a large warmer under neath and have enough room to see the plug in too. My warmers on top are plugged into my power strip behind.

If you have any technical questions, please let me know and I'll ask my husband. It was a pretty simple project and cost under $20 to make! Good luck with yours!!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great information. Can you explain how the three boxes are wired together. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would be great to know how you wired everything together. I've tasked my husband with making one but he doesn't have the electrical knowledge on how to wire it together. What is the yellow wiring and all that good stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ground wire doesn't actually need to be put on right? The warmers only use the ground hole to support the plug in correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the information. I have been trying to find a "pattern" for a display warmer box and new Pintrest would be the spot.. thanks for being so detailed!

    ReplyDelete